1. Owen Kelly and Sophie Hope talk with Susan Jones about what she has termed the impossible arts infrastructure;
2. Disabled artist and drag king Lady Kitt talks to host Hannah Kemp-Welch about Building Listening into Everything;
3. François Matarasso and Arlene Goldbard talk with Judith Marcuse, founder and director of Judith Marcuse Dance Projects;
4. Sophie Hope talks with Raluca Voinea, member of The Experimental Station for Research on Art and Life;
5. We replay Episode 28, Structures of Feeling. Owen Kelly and Sophie Hope dig out their copies of Marxism & Literature and discuss the cultural theory that Raymond Williams develops there.
Mini ICAF coming soon | The fake Poetry of real War | WCEF2024 | Culture and Development | The Last Tweet
1. Clarifying copyright, differentiating it from trademarks, and discussing the tricks involved in merging them.
2. This month we start a brand new series. In the first episode of Ways of Listening, titled Listening and Not Knowing, Albert Potrony introduces his participatory arts practice, describing a recent project with young fathers in Gateshead and former members of an anti-sexist men’s group.
3. Ralph Lister, from Take Art in rural Somerset, discusses rural touring, projects in dance, theatre, and working with artists and community groups.
4. Heynep Falay von Flittner discusses the work of Falay Design, and her roles as the founder of Design Activists for Regenerative Futures, and as a member of the board of Systems Change Finland.
Microplexes in the UK | Purple.space | Starhawk: stories shape our lives | Gandhi and the Dinosaur | Justice and Universalism
1. Owen Kelly and Sophie Hope discuss Fables, copyright and co-creation;
2. Owen Kelly discusses The Careless Society by John McKnight;
3. François Matarasso and Arlene Goldbard talk about democracy and the part culture plays in shaping it;
4. Sophie Hope talks with members of Scottish Sculpture Workshop about their work.
The New Feudalism | Jolly Roger | Elon Musk tells lies | Justice for Neanderthals
1. Owen Kelly and Sophie Hope discuss the process of enshittification;
2. Ed Carroll discusses the question of the Faro Convention;
3. François Matarasso and Arlene Goldbard talk with Caron Atlas;
4. Chris Baldwin & Steve Trow look back at cultural engagement in the West Midlands in the 1980s.
5. We look back at Miaaw 11: The Resurgence of Cultural Democracy.
The BBC joins the Fediverse | Crypto, Art & Climate | Food Broken | Flash without Fear | Open Circuits
The low calorie summer edition | Change of plans | August listings
1. Sophie Hope talks with fellow participants of the Rural School of Economics Summer Camp;
2. Owen Kelly reflects on the continuing relevance of the writings of Ivan Illich;
3. François Matarasso and Arlene Goldbard talk with Maribel Legarda, artistic director, and Beng Cabangon, executive director of the Philippines Educational Theater Association;
4. Owen Kelly talks with Will Weigler, the official blogger and raconteur for the ICAF festival.
1. Sophie Hope talks to Annette Burghes, Aidan Jolly and Marianne Matusz of Collective Encounters;
2. Hannah Kemp-Welch joins Owen Kelly to discuss the question of the relationship between ham radio and feminism;
3. Arlene Goldbard and François Matarasso talk about a set of topics that are currently burning a hole in their brains;
4. In an ICAF special, Sophie Hope talks to Sruti Bala about her two lectures on the perils of participation.
Miaaw Live! | Biggles & the Elitists | Food on Paper | Single Sign In | Summer Somewhere
1. Sophie Hope and Owen Kelly talk about Owen’s new book Cultural Democracy Now;
2. Andrew Gryf Paterson talks about the history of Pixelache as an example of the need for a considered archival perspective among small, decentralised cultural projects;
3. Arlene Goldbard and François Matarasso talk to Anastacia Ackers, Natasha Borton, and Naomi Chiffi, focusing on A Proper Ordinary Miracle and other TEAM projects from National Theatre Walesy;
4. In an ICAF special, Sophie Hope talks to Hui Ling from Drama Box from Singapore;
5. Friday Number 5 exhumes another classic Miaaw episode from our growing archives.
Miaaw Live! | the Social Art Educators’ Forum | Defining “open” | More on International Dawn Chorus Day | Mesomeals | Glitchz | Libraries on Bihar
1. Sophie Hope and Owen Kelly talk to Henry Mulhall about Cards on the Table;
2. Owen Kelly talks to Russell Southwood about his recent book Africa 2,0;
3. Arlene Goldbard and François Mattarasso talk with Ben Fink and Kate Fowler about the new two-volume publication from Roadside Theater in Appalachia, Art in A Democracy;
4. In an ICAF special, Owen Kelly talks with Charlie Fox about the Marseilles River Project
Miaaw Live! | the Social Art Educators’ Forum | International Dawn Chorus Day | Wikimedians in Residence | What do you think?
This month we focus on Miaaw at ICAF – the international community art festival in Rotterdam.
1. Sophie Hope and Owen Kelly look back at ICAF, discussing what they saw and how they felt about it;
2. Owen Kelly talks to Ed Carroll and Vita Gelūnienė about the Cabbage Field community opera;
3. Sophie Hope interviews Kerrie Schaeffer about documenting community art processes;
4. Owen Kelly talks with Bonface Beti about the role of sound in African creativity.
Miaaw Live! | Photographic museum in Bengaluru | Vinyl sales | Sexting Chatbots | Empire Building | US Department of Arts & Culture | Smiling
1. A look at the arguments, metaphors, poems and stories laid out by Jason “Propaganda” Petty in his book Terraform: Building a Better World
2. Sophie Hope draws on her recent experience as an NHS patient to explore the histories, economics and significance of the bedpan
3. Arlene Goldbard and François Mattarasso discuss what community-based art can do,
4. Siniša Ilić, Ahilan Ratnamohan, and Stanislav Shuripa look back at their experiences at Topos 3 last year.
Solein: protein made from air | Plant Portraits by Lucien Freud | Traction publish Co-creating Opera: Guidance from the Traction project | Miaaw Live! launches on Zoom
1. David Moscow on writing From Scratch: Adventures in Harvesting, Hunting, Fishing and Foraging on a Fragile Planet
2. Owen Kelly inquiries into the nature of apology in an age of instant opinion
3. Arlene Goldbard and Francois Mattarasso talk with Beverly Naidus
4. Sophie Hope talks to Marc Herbst about cultural movements
Tapbot on the death of their app Tweetbot | a weekly newsletter called The Planet | the release of SFPC_Malware_Anthology.zip | John Hopkins at Neoscenes | Access Space launched Noises & Projections | PM Press published The Mohawk Warrior Society: A Handbook on Sovereignty and Survival.
1. François Matarasso presents the final audio essay in his current Old Word series
2. Owen Kelly and Tomas Träskman on micro-nations
3. François Matarasso and Arlene Goldbard talk to Jasmina Ibrahimovic about ICAF
4. Irina Mutt looks at the 20th anniversary celebrations of Pixelache in Helsinki
Cory Doctorow on a better failure for social media | Evan Greer releases Automated Christmas Joy | A Library of Things | Brendan Jackson sent a Christmas card | Arlene and Owen’s books: an update